Ask a “kutsero” in Binondo where he got his horse or farmers from Isabela and Bicol where they buy their carabaos; ask Traders and Ranchers from Masbate, Sorsogon, the Mindoros, Romblon or Central Luzon where to look for cows, “brahmans” and other varieties. Answers will all lead to Padre Garcia, Batangas; a town of 40.93 km 2 in land area, with a projected population of 38,975 come 2005.
Padre Garcia's Livestock Auction Market has come a long and stirring way to achieved such a status; functioning as an oasis to the livestock trade, it is also a beacon to the mercantile goods and wares for the sheer volume of patrons in attendance every Friday and subsequent LAM days. It generates employment and businesses branching out to the thousands. It is home to the KABAKAHAN FESTIVAL and to the RODEO EL GARCIANO, annual December events celebrating the prowess that is the Garcieño of Batangas.
Padre Garcia is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Batangas, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 34,504 people in 6,334 households. It has 20,087 registered voters as of 2004.
Padre Garcia's old name is Lumang Bayan as it is the former seat of government of the neighboring town of Rosario, Batangas.
Padre Garcia is one of the 32 municipalities of Batangas Province, situated in the eastern part of the province. It is bounded on the north by Lipa City, on the east by the Municipality of San Antonio, Quezon, south by Rosario, Batangas and on the west by Lipa City and Rosario.
The name of the town is derived from one of its most famous sons, Padre Vicente Garcia, a native of Brgy. Maugat. He is one of the first defender's of Jose Rizal's Noli Me Tangere. He and Dr. Rizal are friends during those times when they are fighting for the Philippine's independence from Spain.
It was in 1952, three years since the town’s founding, that local leaders instigated what would, to this day, be the essence of the people of Padre Garcia’s claim to brilliance and industry. Led by the first elected mayor, Jose A. Pesigan, vice mayor Rustico K. Recto and councillors Narciso Calingasan, Ciriaco Bolilia, Lucas Recinto, Jose Katigbak, Anastacio Dimaculangan and Amado Bacordo; anticipating the need to augment the town’s coffers, they embarked on an economic enterprise - the cattle market or “bakahan”. The uncertainty and plight of the township then, serve as the fire to fuel their drive.
As such pioneering ventures, they were faced with seemingly improbable tasks; the biggest of which is the well entrenched livestock market of neighbouring Rosario. A town roughly four and a half times bigger and just three years before, Padre Garcia, then known as LumangBaya or Sambat was a part of Rosario. The site of the first cattle market is the now Municipal Gym or Plaza adjacent the Park which was then the Municipal Hall.
The cattle market day has always been set on Fridays, its origin can be traced back to post-war 1945 as the LumangBayan’s market day and thus reconsidered to coincide with that of Rosario’s, not to rival but to engrossed what crumbs may astray from the latter’s cattle tradings. The first few months’ unsuccessful operation gave rise to marketing tactics which was to be construed by neighbouring Rosario’s leadership as a threat to its pre-war cattle market, a rivalry to last twenty years began.
Live animal trading is heavy at 1,850 heads of live animals every Friday. Of the 1,850 heads, about 1,295 heads (or 70%) are cattle, 370 (or 20%) are carabaos, and 185 (or 10%) are horses. This is not to mention the trading of a considerable number of goats which are not being documented. The Padre Garcia LOM is a buyers’ market, i.e. buyers hold a considerable influence in the pricing of the animals. Thus, there is a need to invite more traders to operate in Padre Garcia so that it will become a sellers’ market rather than a buyers’ market. By becoming a sellers’ market, livestock farmers can wield considerable influence on the trading of the animals and hence, obtain more profits for their produce.
Consultations and diplomacy geared towards enticing traders became a day and night activity. By 1955 the cattle market has modestly increased its trading volume of large cattle per Friday and to accommodate this increased, a land owned by the De Castro/ Pentiños’ (Present site of the G.T.S.) was duly rented.
For more infor, visit this site www.padregarcia.net